Thursday, June 11, 2009

Random Notes

Today I tried “pan de fruta,” AKA breadfruit, for the first time. I think they got the name really wrong. It looks and tastes like a mix between a peanut and a potato. I think they should have called it a “potato nut”.



I am surprised, and a little impressed, how much Dominicans seem to know about the United States history and politics. Before I found out I was coming to the DR and started researching their history, I didn’t know anything about the small country that shares Hispanola with Haiti.

But when I told one person I was from Texas, he asked: “Oh, in Dallas where Kennedy was killed?”
I had a running joke with one of our Spanish teachers who asked me if I was related to Colin Powell.
He would greet me, “Bekah Powell!” (one of the few Dominicans that knows my nickname)
I would say, “Como Colin!” (Like Colin)

The director of the school was introducing me to his daughter and said, “This is my daughter Eleanor. She’s named after Eleanor Roosevelt.”



I NOW HAVE LOTS OF PICTURES UP AND MORE TO COME ON FLICKR! MY ADDRESS IS TO THE RIGHT, UNDER THINGS I NEED. I called it Texana because when I tell people I´m from Texas they always call me ¨a texana¨.

No comments: