Sunday, April 19, 2009

Comida in the DR

I’ve now been living in the Dominican Republic for a little over a month (even though it feels like a lot longer) and have had different variations of food and tried some new stuff too.

Things I’ve had here:
Papaya everyday – Yum
Fried plantains – okay
Fried bananas – GROSS (way too sweet)
Coffee – Okay but they like to load it up with sugar
Grapefruit juice with sugar and honey – my new favorite juice
Yuca – not too good; kind of like a block of starch
Coca-Cola – all sodas here are made with real sugar and not frutose AWESOME
Italian-styled pizza (pretty good)
Mangu (breakfast dish of smashed plantains+) – okay
Soursop – really good, tastes like a sweet tart, but it’s a fruit
Orange juice with oatmeal – surprisingly really good and good for you too
Cow Liver – While at least I think it was liver. It definitely was not meat though. I asked my Dona when she gave me the plate, “This is cow meat?” She said, “Yes its cow meat.” And then she cut a chunk in half for me. The “meat” was really firm and had layers. I ate everything else, got down four pieces of “meat”, and then said I was full. It was disgusting and I hope I never get served that again.

The other day my Dona gave me some yellow cheese that looked like cheddar cheese so I asked her what kind of cheese it was. She replied, “Queso Amarillo” and looked at me funny (amarillo means yellow in Spanish). Apparently the only two kinds of cheese they have are queso amarillo and queso blanco (white).

Last week was Semana Santa (Holy Week) for Easter. During Holy Week no one goes to work, and none of the children go to school, I’m so jealous. Saturday and Sunday are the biggest days of the week. Saturday we had family come in from Santiago and the Donas spent all day cooking. I watched my Dona cut up a turkey because I thought it would be interesting. I was doing okay until she threw in the lungs, bladder, feet, and heart into the pile to be cooked. But luckily I wasn’t served any of those.


Our pet pavos (turkeys). Before Semana Santa there were four.

No comments: