Saturday, April 4, 2009

Arenoso


This is a picture of my backyard!

Yeah I know you're jealous. I've been in La Cumbre (Arenoso) for almost a week know and am loving it. It's definately a little more chillier than Santo Domingo, but it's great. My host family is awesome. Somehow I got paired with another family that owns a colmodo and they also have a guagua (van for public transportation)! They have 3 kids: the 2 boys (about 17 and 10) are both star runners. The little one, Fralin, just won 1st place in a 10 K on Thursday! And the girl, whose 16, is really sweet. I promised her she could paint my nails this afternoon.

So now that we are in the mountains we are done with Core training and have started more technical training. The other day we took a walk through one of the host family's garden/ backyard. After we looked at some different kinds of trees, he led us down a path to a beautiful waterfall...in his backyard. Ironically I bought a new camera the day after. But hopefully we will go back there sometime soon so I can show ya'll some pics.

Also, we're learning about soil erosion and organic farming. Yesderday we split up into teams of two and built our own compost pile. Here's a pic of us and our compost and yes those are machetes.

I won't be able to update ya'll again till probably next weekend so have a good week!

No comments: