Sunday, June 26, 2011

Summer Vacation

At the beginning of July, I went on vacation to Boston and New York City, and then I spent a week home in Texas. I left Santo Domingo 3am on May 31st and arrived in Boston at 9am. Katie Apone, a friend from my Peace Corps group who wasn’t crazy enough to extend had returned home there and so I went for a couple of days to visit her.

It was quite strange being with another Peace Corps volunteer in the states. Especially when we went to WalMart and she drove. What? You mean that we don’t have to wait for the public guagua (bus) and drive through crazy, noisy traffic for a half an hour longer than it should be to get to the supermercado and then take all our bags back on the crowded, hot guagua back to site? Weird!

We had a great time…we walked all over Boston, I learned the train system (which helped out a lot in NYC), we had a picnic in the park, took a tour around Harvard University, and went to a Boston Improv show.

Next, I took a bus through Connecticut to NYC to meet with my sister, Liz, for five days. We got to see all of the touristy sites including…





Central Park which was beautiful and so weird because it’s a HUGE park stuck in one of biggest cities.



Times Square





The Statue of Liberty


The Empire State Building (We did not go up to the top because neither of us wanted to pay $25 to ride an elevator but it was pretty from the outside.)


Phantom of the Opera on Broadway at the Majestic Theatre.

No comments: